Friday, March 13, 2009

Books, Readers and Beyond: #52 What to Read

Read-a-likes
Exercise 1

The first exercise involved finding a read-a-like for a title by an author of my choosing and conducting a search with 3 website sources.


After making an initial read-a-like search on NoveList Plus for author Robert Ludlum, I received the following recommendations:


Andy McNab's Remote Control

Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power

Philip Shelby's Days of Drums

Jon Land Ben Kamal & Danielle Barnea's Walls of Jericho


I was also provided with a brief introduction to each character. Robert Ludlum was placed into the spy & political thriller genres.
http://web.ebscohost.com/novp/search?vid=1&hid=105&sid=34e11b5e-aa8f-45da-a977-6d5543b65f4c%40sessionmgr108



After trying the Library Booklists website, I was presented with approximately 70 other authors. These were all in the thrillers/adventure genres. Some of the authors were: Ken Follet, Clive Cussler, & Mary Higgins Clark. Non of the authors matched the ones I found on NoveList Plus.

http://librarybooklists.org/



My third attempt was even less successful. Using the what should I read next website, I was given several recommendations for foreign history related books. http://whatshouldireadnext.com/search



NoveList Plus was very accurate. Library Booklists more or less lumped several adventure writers together, and that's a widespread. What should I read next was totally off base. However, I after trying some searches for children's books on the last two websites mentioned, I was more successful.

Exercise 2



This exercise involved finding 2 books each for a 4th grader who is interested in animals and for her 13 year old brother who likes ghost stories. I used NoveList Plus and found the following books:

For the 4th grader

The Cricket in Times Square by Selden, George

Down Girl and Sit by Nolan, Lucy

For the 13 year old

Restless by Wallace, Rich

Vintage by Berman, Steve

Exercise 3


Exercise 3 requires one to use two website resources to find three read-a-like authors for Dean Koontz.

Using what should I read next, I was presented some choices. The following are three that I picked out:

Iris Johansen

F. Paul Wilson

Linda Medley



NoveList Plus provided the following authors:

Robert McCammon

Charles Grant

John Saul

Exercise 4



In exercise 4, one must use a website resource to find the series title, order & title of books found in the series, and resource used for the book Alanna: the first adventure by Tamora Pierce.



Using NoveList Plus, I found the following information:



Series: Song of the lioness



Author: Pierce, Tamora



Book 1 - Alanna: the first adventure



Book2 - In the hand of the goddess



Book 3 - The woman who rides like a man



Book 4 - Lioness rampant








No comments: